What sort of future are we heading towards.

[4.0x] Engage in civil discussion about serious, real-life topics.
Spook of the lost
Mood:

What sort of future are we heading towards.

Post by Spook of the lost »

So I personally feel that we are heading into a corporate ruled dystopia type of future, just not as gritty as traditional cyberpunk, but with a lot of similar themes.

like a hybrid of cyberpunk, post cyberpunk, and biopunk.
with corps being the ruling body, everyone either being on the street or working for a corp, humanoid robots and AI's everywhere, cybernetics being common, and neural interfaces facilitating a new age in computing, both for good and evil.
genetic engineering being common, and possibly both mars and lunar colonies.

also self driving cars, but not quite flying ones yet.

what sorta future do you guys think we're heading towards?
Image "The future is already here. It's just not very evenly distributed" - William Gibson

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Mood:

Re: What sort of future are we heading towards.

Post by slooroo »

Short term or long term?

Short term: Elements of every type of (insert word here)punk with China esque leadership where the political and corporate bodies aren't really separate anymore.

Long term: The destruction of mankind in one great swoop, likely from the last and final war of mankind. Religion's idea of Apocalypse, Kali Yuga, Ragnarok, etc.

I also think most tech will eventually die and revert humanity to pre-tech days. Now that will cause some chaos.

Kaunisto
Cutie

Post by Kaunisto »

I'm more of technology utopist. I'm imagining eventually a virtually/practically infinite energy source, robot servants that can repair/rebuild each others for infinite free labor, computing power to simulate and solve problems like finding immediate cure for any new disease... bit of biotech for eternal life or at least scanner/printer to make backup and copy of yourself constantly to bring back if something happens to you.

I could imagine that in few centuries. In fact I'm quite bitter of being born just a little too early, missing it barely. I think we're one of last generations to die naturally/old age.

Spook of the lost
Mood:

Post by Spook of the lost »

@Kaunisto the thing is, we're nearly there, the thing hindering the progress in that direction is politics.

we have the potential to grasp at being a post scarcity society and in fact in some areas we've achieved that save for artificial scarcity.

this is why I feel we're heading for a dystopia rather than a utopia.

we produce so much food that a decent portion of it rots, and yet there is class based famine throughout the states, worse elsewhere.
with the internet a single person can research and gain knowledge to the limits of human understanding and yet people are conditioned to find that undesirable.
With 3D printing we can construct houses in a week or so, and yet there are homeless.

The Technology, Methods, and materials are there, it's economics, politics, and the fear of losing power that's preventing it as well as the encroaching instability of society as we head towards collapse.

what's worse is that as methods get cheaper and production more efficient nothing really changes.

given that it's controlled by corporations that's why I think it's a corporate dystopia in a similar vein to cyberpunk novels rather than an Orwellian one despite the similarities.

to quote gibson: "The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed yet."
Image "The future is already here. It's just not very evenly distributed" - William Gibson