Webrings

Spook of the lost
Mood:

Webrings

Post by Spook of the lost »

Anyone Remember Web rings as being one of the main way to visit sites on related topics?

For those who don't know.

Webrings were sorta like a database or central page that links out to affiliated websites/forums etc.

usually with a common navigation bar that allows you to hop between sites in a ring navigation scheme.

so you can go forward or backward on the ring.

many also allowed for hopping between sites from a list.

this was pre google when search engines were ok-ish for finding stuff.

anyway it was cool back in the day but lost favor after yahoo did something stupid and broke the rings back in 2001, by which point search engines were powerful enough that they fell out of favor.

Kaunisto
Cutie

Re: Webrings

Post by Kaunisto »

They were great for finding new sites. Back when internet for me was dial-up for three hours every other day (to keep phone bill decent).

I still keep around a link page file that was part of my homepage (that last existed in Geocities). I haven't updated it for decade (or two...) and half the links are dead, but I notice my old link to Monkey Island Webring still works (or to be exact is rerouted to this address).

Spook of the lost
Mood:

Post by Spook of the lost »

Unfortunately I only learned of them briefly when I first started using the internet in 04, having been limited to aol before that by my family.
I later learned about them again years later when I started learning about the history of computers and cyberspace becoming interested as an amateur cyber-historian.
Of course most of the web rings i ran across went nowhere but like you said kaunisto, they were great for finding new sites.
plus they didn't rely on marketing and self promotion to get traffic, and were usually linked sites in a group, topic, or related topics.
I'd like to see a resurgence some day, if only to make it easier for smaller sites to link together and grow.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Mood:

Post by slooroo »

I vaguely remember them when sloo was a young one but they didn't leave a huge impression on me I guess. I know I used them to find sites that are long dead.