Overpowered PCs

These machines are probably going to attempt a world takeover pretty soon, so we should try to understand them.
Cameron

Overpowered PCs

Post by Cameron »

Has anyone ever heard of Overpowered PCs? While the brand name doesn't sound promising, this is a legitimate gaming computer brand. Their big marketing tactic is that they strive to offer very affordable gaming PCs that still have the awesome specs that you know and love. It's also a brand that is solely available at Walmart, so it's something that you may have seen there before.

Is anyone familiar with Overpowered? What are your thoughts on it?

MeowsePad
Administrator
Referrals: 10

Re: Overpowered PCs

Post by MeowsePad »

I have heard of them through Linus Tech Tips. At the time that he reviewed one, it had some critical flaws that nearly halved its performance compared to systems from other manufacturers with similar specs like using a single-channel memory configuration. If they have fixed that, then it might be competent.
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

Spook of the lost
Mood:

Post by Spook of the lost »

Wow I thought you meant actually op PC's lol, isn't that the Walmart brand?
Image "The future is already here. It's just not very evenly distributed" - William Gibson
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Yumika

Post by Yumika »

When it comes to affordable gaming options, you could always just buy a used or refurbished Dell OptiPlex for dirt cheap. Their motherboards support Intel Core2 CPUs (there are quad core versions) or better (i5 is the sweet spot between low-powered i3 and expensive i7), depending on age. Slap on a good Radeon RX GPU, do a bit of tinkering with the graphical settings, and you're good to go. A lot of times, it's a matter of SOFTWARE, instead of hardware. Define your intentions on a gaming PC, and you'll know where to look.

Besides, building your own PC is just so much more fun. I recommend PCPartPicker.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Mood:

Post by slooroo »

My computer is overpowered because I use a Mac

MeowsePad
Administrator

Post by MeowsePad »

slooroo wrote:
1 week ago
My computer is overpowered because I use a Mac
It just works!

Spook of the lost
Mood:

Post by Spook of the lost »

eh, I like older mac's the design was a lot better than modern ones...

the keyboard is nicer to type on, the computer feels more durable, and they don't have the manufacturing defects that modern mac's have had for the last decade.

no offense, but Apple's design sense has taken a hit pretty hard post 2012
Image "The future is already here. It's just not very evenly distributed" - William Gibson
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Mood:

Post by slooroo »

I was shitposting anyway. Macs are lots of things but not overpowered when Apple sells parts that are outdated by computer standards

Jamie
Mood:

Post by Jamie »

The 2008 MacBook Pro says hi, @Spook of the lost. The NVIDIA 8600M GT was a garbage laptop GPU for reliability (or lack thereof, both Apple and Dell had product recalls due to that specific GPU chip).

It’s bad I have basically only got laptop hardware equivalent to a typical Chromebook (albeit with a 500GB HDD rather than an absurdly small SSD), but eh, it runs Windows 7 okay for me, and I don’t need it for much more than what it does fine.

Honestly, people seem to fret about processors way too much IMO... a Celeron N3050 will work fine if you don’t expect it to run semi-recent 3D games for instance, lol.
People that were genuinely annoyed with the UAC prompts in Vista clearly never thought twice about doing 'sudo rm -rf / --no-preserve-root'.

MeowsePad
Administrator

Post by MeowsePad »

Video editing and streaming are two activities where you can't possibly have enough processing power. My i7-3770k is struggling to keep up with what I want it to do these days. If gaming were my sole activity, I could probably use this processor for three or four more years (or longer) without an issue, but I really want to upgrade when I can.