ROM Hacks and Hacking

Whether you're a newb, a pro, or somewhere in between, come tell us all about your favorite games and how you love to play them.
Ravenfreak

ROM Hacks and Hacking

Post by Ravenfreak »

Do you like to play ROM hacks of your favorite games? Or perhaps you enjoy making hacks of your favorite games? I'm a ROM hacker, I mainly hack the 8-bit Sonic games for the Sega Master System/Game Gear. Lately I've been documenting the inner workings of Sonic Drift, and found out it's the only 8-bit Sonic title to have a battery to save the player's best times in free run mode! I've also been working on a few split disassemblies of a few 8-bit titles. The only one on Github is my Sonic 1 Game Gear disassembly, my Sonic Chaos disassemblies were posted on Sonic Retro years ago. I've also been working on a disassembly for Sonic Drift, but I haven't posted it anywhere online yet. I also started working on a Pokemon Red/Blue hack using the pokered disassembly. I added some scrapped Pokemon from the Spaceworld Demo into the game, and added the dark type to the game too but haven't done much with it since. Next to forums, rom hacking is probably my favorite hobby. xD Honestly I'm shocked I didn't make a topic about this sooner...

Kaunisto

Re: ROM Hacks and Hacking

Post by Kaunisto »

I've never really liked hacks or mods of any kind. Somehow my mentality demands this one definitive version of a game. (I'm not a fan movies getting director's cuts or extended versions either.)

I only play translation hacks for Japan-only games.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Mood:

Post by slooroo »

I've played plenty of rom hacks of Pokemon games but too lazy to make one. I generally get how to do it, I just don't want to.
Proud subscriber to MeowsePad on YouTube and Twitch

Juneberry
Administrator

Post by Juneberry »

I'm no good at hacking anything, but I do like playing rom hacks, especially pokemon ones. There was a good harvest moon one too... If I recall...

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Mood:

Post by slooroo »

Juneberry wrote:
1 month ago
I'm no good at hacking anything, but I do like playing rom hacks, especially pokemon ones. There was a good harvest moon one too... If I recall...
What's your favorite Pokemon rom hack?

Juneberry
Administrator

Post by Juneberry »

I'm stuck between Pokemon Uranium and Pokemon Sweet.

Spook of the lost
Mood:

Post by Spook of the lost »

I like playing mario rom hacks, if only because they're super challenging and it's easy to play them on my SNES using a flash cart.

before anyone asks, I do own an original copy of Super mario world so it's completely fine.
Image "The future is already here. It's just not very evenly distributed" - William Gibson
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

MofaMF

Post by MofaMF »

I like Mario and Zelda hacks.

For the Pokemon hack fans they do a great hack called 'Pokemon X Zelda' where you play as Link in the Pokemon world :)

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Mood:

Post by slooroo »

Juneberry wrote:
1 month ago
I'm stuck between Pokemon Uranium and Pokemon Sweet.
I probably played those but I don't remember them