Best Sega CD/Mega CD games?

Whether you're a newb, a pro, or somewhere in between, come tell us all about your favorite games and how you love to play them.
Kaunisto

Best Sega CD/Mega CD games?

Post by Kaunisto »

Since couple of you mentioned the device in tech nostalgia...
I've played a bunch with emulators along years, so let's compare favorites. For reminder, here's wikipedia list of games

Of the top of my head, Wing Commander is my favorite PC game (if not any game) and the Sega CD version is a good conversion.
Same for Monkey Island.

I've enjoyed Shining Force series and SF CD was great (I didn't play the GG SF Gaiden 1 & 2 it's based on, but pretty much all other games up to it).

Mansion of Hidden Souls was atmospheric puzzle adventure.

People talk about Snatcher (I never finished it, should get back on that), but I loved the similar Space Adventure: Cobra - and went on to read the manga and watch bit of anime. There's just so much cool in that. Gameplay not that great, even for a text adventure/visual novel, but got to love it.

Looking at the list I'm reminded of:
Bouncers - my fav 2-player
Lunar 1&2 - TBH I feel they're overrated, pretty generic JRPG, but OK
Panic! aka Switch! - not sure if this is even a "game", but that's Japanese humor for you
Urusei Yatsura: My Dear Friends - I don't understand Japanese (aside English words in katakana), but was able to play this adventure without walkthrough
Vay - IMO better than Lunars
Warau Salesman - again Japanese humor; you might be better of just watching the anime (bit of shock at the end of first episode/first part of game - you've been warned)

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Mood:

Re: Best Sega CD/Mega CD games?

Post by slooroo »

It's not particularly the best but I do have very strange but fond memories of Sonic CD, not that I played it for the Sega CD. I got a Sonic game collection for I think Gamecube. I don't even remember Sega consoles being sold in my area at the time. I've since bought a Dreamcast through the internet but I haven't bothered to get the other Sega consoles yet.

SONIC BOOM SONIC BOOM SONIC BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
Proud subscriber to MeowsePad on YouTube and Twitch

Kaunisto

Post by Kaunisto »

I got PC Sonic CD of suspicious Russian origin from somewhere years ago. I think I only played a level or two, should pick it up. Main issue being that I never got a proper controller.

In the same store where I got my Master System (because dad was too cheap to get Megadrive) there later was Mega CD for sale. I'm not sure if they ever had more than the one sample unit. (This is a small town.)

Ravenfreak

Post by Ravenfreak »

Sonic CD, yeah I know it's been mentioned before but it's awesome! I prefer the Japanese/European soundtrack to the US version. If you're looking for more Sonic, there's also the rom hack Sonic Megamix. It's a heavily modified Sonic 1, and you can burn the game to a disc and play it on actual hardware. Mickey Mania I heard is good and you can't go wrong with Ecco the Dolphin. I've heard the Sega CD version of Ecco is easier than the Megadrive version.

Spook of the lost
Mood:

Post by Spook of the lost »

Sonic cd, I have it,always a favorite, and I can speed run it in a couple hours now I've played it so much.

The ecco the dolphin remakes are great since they did a more atmospheric ost for the sega cd.

does modern games count? Because pier solar is a really good rpg that if you put the soundtrack disc in a sega CD it'll play that instead of from the game cart. Came out in 2010 and uses a little known feature of the add-on to do it. Btw there's a sonic 1 mod that allows for the same... I frequently play sonic 1 with this sonic CD ost using my overdrive lol.
Image "The future is already here. It's just not very evenly distributed" - William Gibson
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Kaunisto

Post by Kaunisto »

Hmm... I think I tried a Pier Solar demo back before the game came out.

Megan
Ferret Queen

Post by Megan »

Both the Lunar games. Favorite game series ever, especially the second one. I hunted down the system just for those games.

Spook of the lost
Mood:

you know I love the new MegaSG, because it supports connecting directly to a Sega CD and playing those games over HDMI.

costly yes but super awesome given it's a SOC hardware level emulation of an original genesis.

what that means is that composite/Svideo/scart isn't needed to play Sega CD/sega genesis games anymore.

does not work for X32 though...
Image "The future is already here. It's just not very evenly distributed" - William Gibson

Ravenfreak

Post by Ravenfreak »

Speaking of HDMI, last weekend I bought the Hyperkin HDMI cord for the Sega Genesis and it looks amazing! The MegaSG is indeed expensive, but is a very awesome piece of hardware because many Sega CD consoles tend to develop issues throughout the years. Capacitor issues, and with the Model 1 disc tray issues appear quite often. It's a shame it doesn't have 32x support yet, I'm assuming not too many people have made 32X support a priority since there isn't too many games and it did worse than the Sega CD. I wonder if my Sega CD is okay... I haven't played it in years. Oh yeah and Final Fight for the Sega CD I heard is good too.

Spook of the lost
Mood:

@ ravenfreak, actually it won't have X32 support.

there's a good reason for this, see the X32 uses a video passthrough cable that's incompatible with remake/emulation consoles, they'd have to make a custom X32 module or find some way to run it on the SOC inside through software. which is what I've heard they've been looking into.