Chess & Go

Whether you're a newb, a pro, or somewhere in between, come tell us all about your favorite games and how you love to play them.
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Mood:

Chess & Go

Post by slooroo »

I've been trying to learn Go recently but when they say it's the game that's easy to learn difficult to master they're not kidding. My brain feels like melting studying strategies. Chess I've never fully learned.
Proud subscriber to MeowsePad on YouTube and Twitch

Kaunisto

Re: Chess & Go

Post by Kaunisto »

Chess has always been a sort of embarrassing weak point for me (as I'm generally pretty intelligent, if I may say so myself).
I never got around to figuring out go, even though I've been curious for years.
My game of choice is othello aka reversi.

Kyng
Mood:

Post by Kyng »

I used to be good at chess: back in the day, I was the captain of my school team. Unfortunately, I sort of fell out of it after that, and I'm very rusty now :P .

Go, I never really learned. I suspect I'd enjoy it if I gave it a chance, though.

Juneberry
Administrator

Post by Juneberry »

I like chess on occasion, and I have moments where I'm good at it. My grandmother has always taught chess to the kids in our family, so I learned the basics when I was pretty young. I managed to win over her the last time I played a couple years ago, though.

Go intrigues me, but I find Chess complicated enough as is. >>;

Megan
Ferret Queen

Post by Megan »

I like chess, just don't entirely know it. XD I never tried Go, but always think of Ranma 1/2 when I think of it, since it was shown a bit in the series.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Mood:

Post by slooroo »

Kaunisto wrote:
4 months ago
Chess has always been a sort of embarrassing weak point for me (as I'm generally pretty intelligent, if I may say so myself).
I never got around to figuring out go, even though I've been curious for years.
My game of choice is othello aka reversi.
Chess and Go are weird to learn even if you are intelligent since a lot of it is learning tactics and at least for me it takes a bit to understand why certain things work the way they do. I did the same Go tactic puzzles about a hundred times before some of it clicked with me.

Spook of the lost
Mood:

Post by Spook of the lost »

I grew up playing chess but I'm only OK at it.

it's still fun though when a friend get's all high and mighty by beating my other friends, challenges me, then loses because I'm good at figuring out probable moves and countering them in advance lol.

don't really stick with strategies though :sweatdrop:
makes it harder to figure me out if I'm basing my next few moves on their likely moves and never planning too far ahead.

always wanted to try go... or even japanese chess where you can convert enemy pieces but I've never had the chance.
Image "The future is already here. It's just not very evenly distributed" - William Gibson
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Mood:

Post by slooroo »

Unfortunately understanding strategies is usually how you get good. I haven't had time to practice in days due to illness though.