Prototypes

Whether you're a newb, a pro, or somewhere in between, come tell us all about your favorite games and how you love to play them.
Ravenfreak

Prototypes

Post by Ravenfreak »

I'm 100% for prototype preservation, and it always makes me happy when prototypes of my favorite games get found online, and dumped by various people. There are a few communities that I'm part of who work on documenting the changes that games have gone through. Just recently back in November, drx from Hidden Palace released some really awesome early prototypes of Sonic CD, Sonic Chaos, and Sonic 3! There were also some Sonic 2 prototypes, ones that we didn't have before that predate some of the ones already released. I recently had to fix on of the Sonic Chaos prototypes to work on an actual Master System, and found out that there was a reference to a port for the Master System that was probably used for music development. Are you guys interested in prototypes? I would one day love to see the holy grail of prototypes, one of the Sonic 1 betas and turns out someone does actually own one, but it's a complicated story between a man and his father and this guy's father owns the prototype but they're not on good terms with each other, so we probably won't get to see the prototype until probably either after the guy ever sorts things out with his father, or his father passes away and even then it's going to be completely up to the guy owning it if he wants people to dump it online...

polyfluff

Re: Prototypes

Post by polyfluff »

At this point they‘ll find the entire SVN history of Sonic 2 lol.
ded

Ravenfreak

Post by Ravenfreak »

Pretty much. xD I think we're only missing maybe a couple prototypes to finally have every Sonic 2 prototype that's been revealed in a magazine at least. I'm sure there's been more probably even prior to the Nick Arcade prototype, but I highly doubt anyone has them anymore. I could be wrong though. :V

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Mood:

Post by slooroo »

One of my favorite prototypes out there that's recentish is the Pokemon Gold demo that was only used at one event in Japan for like one or two days then disappeared off the face of the Earth for a long time. What I find really cool about it besides the fact hackers found tons of interesting info on scrapped Pokemon and such is I find the graphics interesting. In the demo the graphics look like they're building off the Gen 1 style and it feels like a Gen 1.5 game and not the game we ended up getting. Going past the demo's intended zones you even get to see some of what GameFreak intended for Johto originally which is pretty fascinating. Gen 2 is my favorite Pokemon gen but I will admit I would've also loved if this "1.5" could've been a full game too. I really like what GameFreak had for it.
Proud subscriber to MeowsePad on YouTube and Twitch

Ravenfreak

Post by Ravenfreak »

I love that prototype too! I just recently found out that, Wack0, a previous moderator over at Glitch City forums was the guy who was responsible for the leak of the prototype, along with another member from that community called Ganix. Wack0 actually got in legal issues since he hacked into Nintendo's network to get the Space World Demo, along with the Gen 1 Red/Green assets too. I always wanted to be able to play the Space World Demo after seeing photos of it, so I'm not going to lie I'm actually happy he hacked into their servers to get it. xD Though I'm not a fan of what other things he's done, but that's for a different topic.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Mood:

Post by slooroo »

Really I find it dumb Nintendo is so protective over such old prototypes. I would get it if it was the current gen or even past gen but Gen 2 was so long ago I don't see the reason to get in an uproar. It's not even on current tech Nintendo or GameFreak uses anymore. Really the only thing the public got out of it in the end is an idea of what Pokemon Gold/Silver was going to be before they started over from scratch to make what we got and some Pokemon designs that haven't been used and likely never will.

polyfluff

Post by polyfluff »

Wasn't that DKL3 prototype literally found in a skip somewhere in East Anglia? :P
ded

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Mood:

Post by slooroo »

ET is in the desert so the middle of nowhere is perfect for that stuff. Dig in your backyard and you might find the Bubsy prototype

Spook of the lost
Mood:

Post by Spook of the lost »

what I think is cool is that a lot of unfinished prototypes of games that were never released are being worked on by fans and such and completed then released in the modern day.

way past cool ^_^
Image "The future is already here. It's just not very evenly distributed" - William Gibson
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Mood:

Post by slooroo »

Fans have more time than sense occasionally but the results can be fascinating.