Grand Strategy Games

Whether you're a newb, a pro, or somewhere in between, come tell us all about your favorite games and how you love to play them.
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Mood:

Grand Strategy Games

Post by slooroo »

Generally when this genre is mentioned most people will think of Paradox games like Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Crusader Kings, and so on. I really love EU4 and HoI4 but I haven't taught myself CK2 yet despite it being the easiest supposedly. I play a lot of the Extended Timeline mod for EU4 although the AI in that mod seems to be really wonky. I also really love the Kaiserreich mod for HoI4 and just finished my syndicalist America campaign where Smedley Butler overthrows all tyrants. The Old World Blues mod is really cool too and fun to experience the Fallout universe in a new way.
Proud subscriber to MeowsePad on YouTube and Twitch

Kaunisto

Grand Strategy Games

Post by Kaunisto »

I've never really figured out what "grand strategy" is. So I took a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_g ... ideo_games and...

I've never (beyond quick look) played any of those games! I've played around 500 games through by some definition (easy level, walkthrough, cheating, whatever) and must've played in somewhat considerable amount another 500 or so. And yet I've missed a whole genre!?

OK sure I've played something fitting to the category, but just funny that not anything on that list.

Juneberry
Administrator

Grand Strategy Games

Post by Juneberry »

I played Civilization when I was younger, but as I've grown up, I prefer RPGs and tactical RPGs more.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Mood:

Grand Strategy Games

Post by slooroo »

I like Civilization but I don't play it as much as I used to. Europa Universalis appeals to me more because I like creating my own goals and playing based on that. One campaign I played as the Teutonic Order and enforced Catholicism on Eastern Europe. Another time I colonized the new world as Japan before the Europeans got all of it. You can go against history as save Byzantium from the Ottoman Empire or restore Islam to Iberia. There's no rules to the game so you can play it as you see fit.

Juneberry
Administrator

Grand Strategy Games

Post by Juneberry »

slooroo wrote:
10 months ago
I like Civilization but I don't play it as much as I used to. Europa Universalis appeals to me more because I like creating my own goals and playing based on that. One campaign I played as the Teutonic Order and enforced Catholicism on Eastern Europe. Another time I colonized the new world as Japan before the Europeans got all of it. You can go against history as save Byzantium from the Ottoman Empire or restore Islam to Iberia. There's no rules to the game so you can play it as you see fit.
That sounds really fun to me! Was it expensive?

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Mood:

Grand Strategy Games

Post by slooroo »

Juneberry wrote:
10 months ago
That sounds really fun to me! Was it expensive?
Base game? No. All of the DLC? Only in the hundreds at the moment. Paradox sadly is a bit infamous on milking DLC. Why for a long time I used a pirated copy and now I only play with mods that doesn't need the DLC. I got my copy actually from a friend who was dating a Swedish girl who bought stock in Paradox and they gave her a series of free games and she didn't want any of them so he gave them to me.

Juneberry
Administrator

Grand Strategy Games

Post by Juneberry »

That's some luck you got there!

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Mood:

Grand Strategy Games

Post by slooroo »

It really was. It was several hundred dollars of worth of Paradox related games. It's some kind of package Paradox gives to shareholders the way he explained it to me.

MeowsePad
Administrator
Referrals: 10

Grand Strategy Games

Post by MeowsePad »

What's the difference between grand strategy and real time strategy? Are grand strategy games turn based?
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

Juneberry
Administrator

Grand Strategy Games

Post by Juneberry »

You just gave me an idea for a thread, while asking a question I wanna know the answer to also! Thanks Meowsey!