Retro Gaming

Whether you're a newb, a pro, or somewhere in between, come tell us all about your favorite games and how you love to play them.
Yumika

Retro Gaming

Post by Yumika »

I actually agree with 2004 being the cutoff year. After PlayStation 2's reign, gaming turned into a dick measuring contest. The infamous "console fanboys" (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Nintendo Wii fans) got caught in a crossfire, while "PC master race" poked fun at them.

When I realize this, it makes me grateful I don't have to do any serious upgrades. I can take a desktop originally meant for Windows XP (Intel Core2 Duo/Quad series) and run Higan (a Super Nintendo, Nintendo, and Game Boy Advance emulator) without breaking a sweat. Heck, upgrade the motherboard and CPU to a powerful Intel i5, and the retro experience is even smoother. ^^

polyfluff

Retro Gaming

Post by polyfluff »

Or take a Pentium MMX and use ZSNES (lol, no).
ded

Megan
Ferret Queen

Retro Gaming

Post by Megan »

Yeah that might be true for the cutoff. Not that there weren’t any gems here and there. But that was the best gaming period.

Kaunisto

Retro Gaming

Post by Kaunisto »

That's sad to hear because my primary gaming era/interest has slowly inched from my original preference of ca. 1990 to about that spot. Last five years (since getting my two newest computers) I think I've played most 2000-2005 games. And now I would be moving on (at least when I finally bother to get myself next PC), but by your judgement it seems I'm heading for a weaker era.

Megan
Ferret Queen

Retro Gaming

Post by Megan »

Kaunisto wrote:
10 months ago
That's sad to hear because my primary gaming era/interest has slowly inched from my original preference of ca. 1990 to about that spot. Last five years (since getting my two newest computers) I think I've played most 2000-2005 games. And now I would be moving on (at least when I finally bother to get myself next PC), but by your judgement it seems I'm heading for a weaker era.
There were still good games. Just not as many that I can recall right now.

Spook of the lost
Mood:

Re: Retro Gaming

Post by Spook of the lost »

big retrogamer here, I've gone out of my way to find, restore, and setup As many consoles as I can get my hands on to play via actual hardware.
my favorites are genesis, super nintendo, atari, and old school nintendo.
I'm also a huge fan of DOS gaming as well as collecting retro linux games, I will always be a fan of indie publishers, ID software, Loki Entertainment and Sega! 8)
Image "The future is already here. It's just not very evenly distributed" - William Gibson
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters