Emulators

Whether you're a newb, a pro, or somewhere in between, come tell us all about your favorite games and how you love to play them.
Zawazuki

Re: Emulators

Post by Zawazuki »

I've used emulators a few times. I haven't sank too many hours into them........ chicken pot pie with a cherry on the side. moisty militia

polyfluff

Re: Emulators

Post by polyfluff »

I'm unpleasantly surprised that the BBC Micro isn't possible to emulate on a Raspberry Pi yet (nothing exists for it except some ancient POC port of some emulator from what I recall), nor is it doable via libretro - especially given the BBC and Pi pretty much were created with educational purposes in mind but were actually quite solid machines :P

The Micro in particular has quite a nice set of clone games by hobbyist UK developers of the time, heh - Snapper (a Pac-Man clone) being quite a seller from what I read in an article of Retro Gamer (a mostly 80s UK perspective, which wasn't very fond of consoles back then because of how badly console makers treated the PAL regions until the mid 90s). Funny how our IT lessons have gone from making little things for versions of BASIC to now, 'how to stay stafe from the evils of the Internet' and other BS propaganda that the government want to impose here: I find it ridiculously ironic that they aim to keep kids safe online whilst promoting social media, which by far is less 'safe' than say, this very board you're on now...

Let's not get too off-topic. I might make a separate thread regarding that matter I mentioned late on in the post.
ded

SpacewardAsh
Mood:

Emulators

Post by SpacewardAsh »

Ohh Emulators, my childhood! While technically illegal if you don't own the original content, I'm surprised they are still going to be honest...

Juneberry
Administrator

Emulators

Post by Juneberry »

I use emulators occasionally, mostly on my computer. It's true there's some legal issues, but there's also fan games that use the same format and such of older platforms like GB/GBA. Some are even combo games- I've found a fan game that was pokemon and harvest moon quasi-combined once.

MeowsePad
Administrator
Referrals: 10

Emulators

Post by MeowsePad »

SpacewardAsh wrote:
11 months ago
Ohh Emulators, my childhood! While technically illegal if you don't own the original content, I'm surprised they are still going to be honest...
Most of the content, though, is so old that it's relatively safe.
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

SpacewardAsh
Mood:

Emulators

Post by SpacewardAsh »

I've mostly gone digital with a lot of my older content, though I do still have some in a box somewhere ready to come out at some point in the future :lol:

MeowsePad
Administrator
Referrals: 10

Emulators

Post by MeowsePad »

I think most emulators remain legal in the way that torrent clients do. Since you could use them in a legal manner, and it is someone's choice to use them in a way that is not legal, the software developers are not at fault.
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

Kaunisto

Emulators

Post by Kaunisto »

In short, I've used emulators for about two decades, for software of over 30 devices.

I'm not the most (copyright) law respecting person...

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Mood:

Emulators

Post by slooroo »

I use emulator sometimes, usually for Pokemon fan hacks. Some older games especially I would refuse to play without one these days.
Proud subscriber to MeowsePad on YouTube and Twitch

polyfluff

Emulators

Post by polyfluff »

So RetroArch have a DX10 backend but for some reason it's not usable on the MSVC2010 version (which is targeted at XP but also the usable version on Vista)... lol.
ded